HD Stafford Middle School is an amazing place, where meaningful, authentic and powerful learning occurs everyday. We have an wonderful school culture built around our values … S.O.A.R. (Strive, Overcome, Achieve, Respect). And our staff and students also know how to have fun! So each Friday, we will be sending out our “Hawk Squawk: Celebrating the Week” highlighting five awesome things that happened during the past week. We will be touching on different aspects of our school, sharing with our entire community the many successes and celebrations we enjoy here at HD Stafford Middle School. So without further adieu, here is “Hawk Squawk: Celebrating the Week of January 9th. Please be sure to share with your family and friends.
1. Things Get Cooking With Ms. Caines: As our students continue with their Grade 6/7 Exploration classes, classes in Ms Caines class were cooking up a storm their first week back in class. The grade sevens made Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies. Needless to say, they were extremely tasty. And the best part it, with the ingredients at home, they can now make these awesome cookies for their entire family (hint hint). Our grade sixes were working on making grilled cheese sandwiches, ensuring they will never go hungry when they finally move out on their own. Regardless of who’s down there, things always smell great near the Home Ec room.
2. Grade Eight Boys Basketball Lose Close One: This past week, our grade eight boys basketball team played a hard fought game against the team from Langley Fundamental. Our boys started out slow, getting lots of opportunities without any baskets going in. But once the ball started to drop, they were on fire. It was a well played game and in the end, the final score was 20 – 16 for LFMS. Next up for our grade eights is an away game on Monday, January 12th against Yorkson Middle School.
3. Mrs Lacroix & Mr Rowe Create Stories From Imagery: They say a picture says a thousands words. Well the grade eight students in Mrs Lacroix and Mr Rowe’s Humanities classes took that one step further this past week using classic imagery to create and develop their own stories. Students worked collaboratively in groups using an assigned picture to create a setting, characters, plot designs and a conclusion based solely on the image. And while they are still in the early stages of the process, the creativity has been amazing! We can’t wait to see the final products.
4. Inquiring Minds Want To Know: Learning is always one of the main goals of schools and at HD Stafford Middle School, passionate, inquiry-based learning can be seen everyday. During this past week in the “Genius Hour” grade 8 elective, students have been working on inquiry questions based on areas they are passionate about. Some students are examining the effects of video games on brain activity while another student is conducting rocket launch trials. What an amazing opportunity to really delve deep into passion-based learning.
5. Rehearsals In Full Swing For Newsies: Mrs Liebel and the students in the cast of Newsies have been hard at work getting ready for their upcoming performances. It was clear that everyone put in a ton or work over the break as scenes, songs and choreography started coming together during rehearsals this past week. And there is no doubt that after the last couple weeks of rehearsals, the show will be top notch when the curtains open. Be sure to make time on either January 28th or January 29th to come check out this amazing show!