Hard to believe we are already into the month of October. The temperature says it’s Fall, but this past week HD Stafford Middle was under beautiful sunshine. So much great learning and team building going on this past week. Here is the Hawk Squawk: October 2nd. Please be sure to share with you family and friends.
1. Great Turn Out For Meet The Staff Community BBQ: Mother Nature was in full cooperation on Monday as we held our first ever Meet The Staff Community BBQ on Monday. The grill was going as parents and students came to the school to meet our amazing staff. It was great to continue to build that important connection between school and home in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. And the weather was perfect! Looking forward to this being an annual event.
2. A Quick Trip To Atlantis In Division 9 & 10: The grade seven students in Mr. Brandolini and Mr Grill’s classes have been examining the ancient history of Atlantis in their Humanities time. Students deciphered ancient messages about the people of Atlantis, all while making hypotheses about their culture and what happened to them. In fact, the students became “archaeologists” as they worked collaboratively to uncover the history of these peoples. It is so important for students to understand our history and how the world around them today compares. This unit on Atlantis goes a long way to that learning goal.
3. Aboriginal Truth And Reconciliation Recognized On Orange Shirt Day: This past Wednesday, September 30th was “Orange Shirt Day” in recognition of residential school survivors and in memory of those who did not. And it’s the day’s tagline of EVERY CHILD MATTERS that really resonates. The history of our country is filled with many triumphs however the treatment of our Aboriginal peoples is not one of them. And this day is a small step in moving that forward to a much better place. It was powerful to see many of the HD Stafford family of schools participate in this important day.
4. Skyhawks Football Is Triumphant Over Heritage Park: The boys and girls on the football team played their first league game this past Monday on the road at Heritage Park Middle School in Mission. The squad boarded the bus in anticipation and all that excitement and energy came bursting out right on the first play of the game! The Skyhawks played a very hard fought battle, defeating Heritage Park 25 – 6. Next up is Hatzic Middle School on Monday at McLeod Athletic Park. Come on out and cheer on the team.
5. Grade Eights Bond At Camp Kawkawa: This past week, our grade eight students went to a campground just outside of Hope for an experience of a lifetime. Instead of going at the end of the school year, over 110 grade 8s and their teachers went to Camp Kawkawa for three days of team-building and memory-making. Students had the opportunity to try out archery, learn survival skills, go swimming and kayaking. They made pizza in an outside brick oven and enjoyed two nights of great camp fire activities under the stars! And the best part is this common experience has helped bring this grade 8 class together in amazing ways. A tremendous thanks to Mr Rowe, Mr Sandquist, Ms Welsh, Mrs Lacroix, Mr Jung, Ms Janzen and the amazing parents who volunteered to make this happen. Looking forward to even more pictures!