It has been an awesome week in the Hawk’s Nest! There has been so much amazing learning going on at HD Stafford Middle as we approach the last few weeks of school. Here is the Hawk Squawk: May 22nd. Please be sure to share with your family and friends.
1. HDSMS Take On Gauss Math Contest: This one happened late in the previous week, but is definitely worth celebrating. Several of our students participated in the annual Gauss Math Contest, put on by Waterloo University and the Centre for
Education in Math and Computing. Mr Brandolini worked with these students on high level mathematic problems in preparation for this competition. We are very proud of all the students who participated. Good luck with the results.
2. Collaborative Fairy Tales Come To Life: There is some real creativity going on in our Integrated Fine Arts classes lately. Students have been working on creating their own original fairy tale stories. After studying the aspects of traditional fairy tales, they have been working in teams to write their own using those elements. They have created written books but don’t plan to stop there. They will be creating plays, soundtracks and a dance to go along with their story. Love the integrated learning happening with these students.
3. Grade Sixes Prepare To Welcome Newest Skyhawks: We are so proud of the efforts at HD Stafford Middle to help our newest Skyhawks feel extra welcome when they arrive in September. In preparation for visits to the feeder schools on June 5th, our grade 6 students have been working on writing a script in drama called “Grade 6 Survival.” This will be a bit of a how-to guide when it comes to transitioning to HDSMS. Looking forward to seeing the final performances.
4. Getting In Shape In Skyhawk Fitness: Our grade eight students have a great selection of electives throughout their final year at HD Stafford Middle. One of the more popular ones is our Skyhawk Fitness. During this course, students are exposed to the latest workout technology (speed ladders, battle ropes, etc) and given excellent instruction to create fitness routines catered to their specific needs and goals. There is no question this is learning that will extend long after they leave HDSMS.
5. Rugby Team Fraser Valley Champions: This past week was historic for our rugby team. On Wednesday, they travelled to Semiahmoo Secondary to play against Lord Tweedsmuir for the Tier 1 Fraser Valley Championship. The beginning of the game was extremely tight, with our opponents taking a lead early in the second half. It was the first time all season the boys had fallen behind in a game. But showing true character and heart, they rallied back to win 32 – 17, capping an extremely successful season! We are so proud of all the players and a huge thanks to their coaches, Mr Anderson and Mr Hunter for all their dedication.